Forgive me for I have sinned.
I started off on a good foot in September and before I knew it, I was slipping on my massage appointments, leaving the house without breakfast, and not making my morning juices. I have totally been neglecting you internally but certainly haven't forgotten how to go shopping and making sure I looked frr-resh on the outside.
How many of you could write a similar letter to yourselves? I bet you're probably nodding along and chuckling because you can totally relate right?!
Let's fix this shall we?
With Christmas 2016 done and over, we can definitely squeeze in some time to self-care and start 2017 feeling rejuvenated.
Here's 6 ideas for you to choose from!
1. Eat Properly| We are all guilty of this. We grab something through the drive through, we run on a measly banana and caffeine, or we just don't eat! This is your time to make that Pinterest inspired brunch at home! Set the table with some fresh flowers or candles, stay in your cozy PJs, and savour every bite. Your wellness really relies on what you're putting into your body.
2. Self-Reflect| "Hello, it's me"... I am huge on self-talk and self-reflecting. I'm pretty much saving a bundle on sessions with a psychiatrist because I am constantly asking myself, "Ok Jam, why do you feel this way?” Unfortunately, with all the noise in our lives, we often forget to take an adult time out and check in with ourselves. For some it's journaling and reading back on past pieces, for others it's meditation, and for people like me, it's playing Cold Play "Fix You" on repeat.
3. Volunteer for a hour| Giving back to our community does wonders for our emotional well-being. It allows us to stop and give thanks for what we have (because let's face it, sometimes we forget) and it also teaches us that love is meant to be shared. This is a tip I myself will definitely be trying more.
4. PURGE| I will admit that I am a bit of a hoarder when it comes to clothes. I can't figure out for the life of me why I must keep everything! Purging has been known to have major therapeutic benefits because you are making more space both physically and emotionally. If you can't part with your favourite items, call in back up! Have someone help you sort or make the decision for you. Don't forget that you can always donate old items or sell them on sites like Kijiji or LetGo.
5. Make sure everything is ok| When was the last time you got blood work done, checked your blood pressure, or even got a physical? Did you squirm while you read this? That's probably a clear indication that you haven't gone to the doctor in a while. Sure, the saying goes "if it ain't broke don't fix it", but sometimes there's things we should be aware of that can't be seen with the human eye. There really is no harm in making sure all systems are good to go.
6. Sleep...and I mean for more than 5 hours| Unfortunately there are people in the industry that encourage the "hustle all day and all night AKA team NO SLEEP" attitude and I'm here to tell you that your body and your mind ain't got time for that. Your mind needs to recharge and your body needs to regulate. That only happens when we get sleep. Do you know what happens when you don't get enough sleep? Obvious answer is, you aren't performing as well as you should be. We all know the effects of lack of sleep so why do we it to ourselves? Have you heard of REM sleep? If you don't, click here and educate yourself on what proper sleep looks like.
Normally, I would never qoute this guy but like Justin Bieber say's, "you should go and love yourself."
Seriously... Show yourself some love!
We can't rely on others to make sure we're good to go; it starts with ourselves and how valuable we feel we are. I'm reminding you that we're are worth it and that your body/mind/soul is too... So take care of it!
You've been gently warned.
Jam Gamble - Connector of People, Ideas and Energy